Thursday, August 9, 2012

Author Spotlight-Fellow Vet Jesse Holder

I think I'm more excited about this guest than any others because Jesse Holder is a fellow Army Vet! Here's a big fat hooah for you! If you know about the Infantry then you can clearly see where the title of his book comes from. Welcome to my blog Jesse.








Jesse Holder (1986- ) was born in Valdosta, Georgia. He quickly became known as a "class-clown" throughout his school years. After putting college on hold, Jesse joined the United States Army. He graduated United States Infantry and Airborne School in the spring of 2006. He served in the 173rd Airborne Combat Team in Italy from June, 2006 to July, 2009. He has completed two combat tours, the first being a fifteen month deployment in Afghanistan with the 173rd ABCT; the second being with the 3rd Infantry Division in Iraq. Jesse is very passionate about friends, family, food, beverages, traveling, and University of Georgia football.


1.      What inspires you as a writer?
Well I’m sure most people that you get on your blog are indeed writers. I’m not really a writer. I just happen to write a book and get it published. I am the type of person that once I have done it I usually move onto something else.  So now that I have written a book, which I only did because time permitted and I did not really have anything else to do, I doubt I will write again…unless someone wanted to pay me upfront like they would Tom Clancy.
2.      When did you have that ah ha moment when you knew you were a writer?
I never really had an “ah ha” moment. I never set out in life to write a book. My brother gave me a journal right before I joined the Army and said to write down as many memories as possible. At first it seemed a little weird, writing to myself, but I did start doing it in Afghanistan. It started as a way to pass the time.
When I got to Iraq with the 3rd Infantry Division we worked 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Aside from eating, showering, and hitting the gym there wasn’t much to do. So I thought hey…why not write a book? Toying around with the first chapter got me rolling. I worked on it a little bit every day until the next thing I knew I had twenty two chapters and was writing the conclusion. The journal, pictures, and memories I had came in handy!

3.      What is your writing process?
When I was writing I had to get up, work out, get my blood flowing and then write. I would only write for a few hours in the morning, about as long as it took to finish a few cups of coffee and then that would be it for the day.
4.      Tell us about your favorite character and why you chose to write about them?
Well my book is a chronological narrative following my life from 2006 to 2009 so all of the characters are real life folks. As far as my favorite, I guess I would have to say myself…since it is my story.

5.      What are you currently working on?
        I’m currently not working on anything. I’m just trying to get the word out about my current title.
6.      Any upcoming events?
        Yes. Excluding this virtual book tour I am on now, I am embarking on an actual book signing tour starting on August 31st, 2012. It starts in my hometown of Valdosta, Georgia then proceeds to Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, and finally Annapolis.

7.      If you could be anyone you like, who would you be?
Anyone? Well if I could be anyone it would probably be Alexander SkarsgĂ„rd’s character Eric Northman on the HBO Series True Blood. Who wouldn’t want to be rich as hell, good-looking, 2,000 years old, and also a vampire? Sign me up.
8.      Do you have any advice for new writers and something that a seasoned vet can learn?
        The only advice I really have is write what you like. Don’t be afraid of what this liberal world we live in will thing, or what the media will say. This country needs more people who say what they want to say when they want to say it.
9.      Where can your followers find you?
You can e-mail me at chutesbeerbullets@gmail.com
Twitter:@Jesse_Holder

10.  Any last words?
Do not let the "norms" dictate this business, it’s your life; live it!


Thank you for stopping by Jesse. Now, if you read this and don't leave a comment you may just make me put back on my combat boots and get you.

Omegia Keeys
www.okeeys.com
www.reedpiconsulting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment