Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Author Spotlight with Lisa Wooten


Before I get to Lisa I wanted to add my two cents. I have read Unforgivable and it is a excellent book! Great characters, plot, and twist! I look forward to much more from Lisa. If you have not read it you can click the book below and it will take you to Amazon were you can get a paperback or ebook. It's also available at most other online retailers as well. Now on to the author of the day...

Author Bio:
Lisa Wooten is an avid reader who especially enjoys thrillers and mysteries.  Her first novel, Unforgivable, is a suspense tale of a young woman, Joan, who is convicted of murdering her best friend on the night on their senior prom.  Joan is deemed criminally insane and sentenced to life in a psychiatric asylum.  Filled with despair and anguish, Joan escapes to her “special world” where she can be anyone she wants to be; a beautiful model, a smart lawyer, an Olympic gold medalist.  Her only ally is her psychiatrist.  With his help, Joan is hoping to be declared sane so she may be released from the asylum.  But should she be?  As long-buried memories unfold, she teeters on the edge of sanity and insanity, fantasy and reality.  Could it all come crashing down on her or will she free herself?

Lisa wrote Unforgivable with the hopes that not only would it entertain an audience but that it would shed light on the different levels of mental illness that plague people and how these individuals are perceived not only by their caregivers but by their own family and friends.   Unforgivable has very unique characters that deal with real life problems.  Joan and her false world wrap the readers up, leaving them wondering what is going to happen next and what is real and what is a fantasy.

Lisa is currently working on her second novel, Give In To Me.  This novel follows the twisted mind of a serial killer as he stalks his intended victims and finally tortures and murders them.  One night the serial killer’s luck runs out and he is physically assaulted during a carjacking, which puts him into a coma.  His caring nurse, Lucy, watches over him for three months as this “John Doe” recovers in the hospital.  Once he is awake, questions linger for the readers; does he know he’s a serial killer?  If so, will he decide to change his life or will his evil obsessions take control?

When not writing, Lisa works in the healthcare field.  She is lives in Philadelphia with her husband, Ted, and their Persian cat, Clara Rose. You can catch up with Lisa Wooten on  Twitter (@WootenLisa), and Facebook (Lisa Wooten).

 Up Close with Lisa Wooten
1. What inspires you as a writer?  I like to create characters that reflect the many aspects of the human condition; happiness, greed, love, murder, etc and tell a story that hopefully people will find captivating and entertaining. 
2.  When did you have that ah ha moment when you knew you were a writer? To be honest, I’m still waiting for it!  While writing my novel, Unforgivable, I never really considered what I was doing as writing.  To me, it was just fun and I got a lot of enjoyment out of seeing my friends read the chapters as I went along.  Even now, seeing the book in my hands, it still seems unreal to me. 
3.  What is your writing process?  I think my writing process is pretty simple and it doesn’t involve a lot of outlines or character development sketches.  I normally get my ideas for a story from my dreams or listening to music and allowing my mind to wander.  Once I have the idea, I literally just sit in front of the computer and type it all out.  For the most part, what I write is in chronological order, from beginning to end.  Once I am finished the complete manuscript, I will always go back to proofread, add or edit things but for the most part, it pretty much just flows out. 
4.  Tell us about your favorite character and why you chose to write about them?  I like all of my characters and have lots of fun creating them, especially doing their dialogue.  For the characters in Unforgivable it’s difficult to really like them personally just because they are criminals who have done terrible things but on the other hand, if you can look past what they have done, you can see the complex human that they are.   They all have their personalities, little quirks, their sense of humor.  It’s fun writing a story for all of them but I don’t have a particular favorite.
5.  What are you currently working on?  I am working on my second novel, Give In To Me.  This novel follows the twisted mind of a serial killer as he stalks his intended victims and finally tortures and murders them.  One night the serial killer’s luck runs out and he is physically assaulted during a carjacking, which puts him into a coma.  His caring nurse, Lucy, watches over him for three months as this “John Doe” recovers in the hospital.  Once he is awake, questions linger for the readers; does he know he’s a serial killer?  If so, will he decide to change his life or will his evil obsessions take control?
6.  Any upcoming events?  Yes.  I have an interview with Passionate World Radio http://www.internetvoicesradio.com/ on March 15, 2012 at 9:00pm EST and another interview with One Karma Publishing http://www.blogtalkradio.com/onekarmaauthorslounge  on April 13, 2012 at 6:00pm EST.  I will also be in Chicago on June 9 & 10, 2012 for a book signing and Q & A at the Chicago Printer’s Row Literary Festival.
7.  If you could be anyone you like, who would you be? I’m pretty happy with how things are in my life, both professionally and personally, so I would like to just be me. 
8.  Do you have any advice for new writers and something that a seasoned vet can learn?  For new writers just starting out, the best advice I can give is never let fear take over.  It took me almost ten years to actually start my manuscript just because I was afraid nobody would read it and if they did read it, they wouldn’t like it. I was afraid it would be rejected by publishing companies.  If I never tried writing, I couldn’t actually say I was a failure at it, right?   Wrong!  By being a coward and not writing, I was letting fear control me.  I love writing but it was something I would not allow myself to do because I was scared of the “what ifs”.  I’ve learned over the years that it is better to try and to know the truth as to what you’re capable of doing rather than sit back, do nothing and wonder years from now, “what if”. 
9.  Where can your followers find you?  Currently you can find me at Passionate Writer Publishing http://passionatewriterpublishing.com/.  You can also find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1831525609#!/profile.php?id=100002879438014 and Twitter: @WootenLisa
10.  Any last words?  I’m excited to enter this new stage in my life and look forward to creating more stories that hopefully people will enjoy.  
    Guilty or innocent? Sane or insane? Justified punishment or horrible mistake? Joan Miller believes she is ordinary in every way until she is tried and convicted for murdering her best friend the night of their senior prom. Joan is deemed criminally insane and is committed to a life sentence in a psychiatric asylum, where she attempts to escape a life full of despair and anguish as she did in the past - by creating glamorous characters and living in her private World. Now cohabitating with mentally ill and criminally dangerous patients, with an estranged family who is ashamed of her, Joan has nowhere to turn. She confides in her only ally... her psychiatrist. With his help, she struggles to be declared sane in hopes of being released from the institution. But should she be? As long-buried memories unfold, she teeters on the edge of sanity and insanity, reality and fantasy as she realizes that she may have committed the terrible crime after all. Could it all come crashing down on her or will she free herself?
 Please feel free to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment